Monday, January 31, 2011

First Glue

After all the work I have done on the Petrel, today was the first glue to be used. I glued the sheer strips in place. They are the dark colored strips. Then I glued the light colored strips to the water line. You can see how much the bow and stern sweep up as the water line is very straight.

You can see the strips that are clamped to the flat 1X6 boards. They are scarfed together in the middle. Two 8 foot strips scarfed together to make a 16 foot strip. Here I have four 16 foot strips waiting for the glue to dry.


The wood is western red cedar from CLC in Annapolis MD. I got five boards of dark and five boards of light. I sawed them into strips and then my cheep a%# table saw died. The wood cost more than the wood I can get from the lumber yard but it is much better wood. No knots and very good color. I might use a little bit of Zebra wood on the deck pattern. It is very beautiful, very heavy, and very expensive.


I was able to sell some things on e-bay over the weekend so now I can get a better table saw to replace the dead one from China.


No comments:

Post a Comment